For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus.
For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Galatians 3: 26 – 27
By Baptism we become members of the Church, the Body of Christ.
In Baptism, the Holy Spirit moves us to answer Christ's call to holiness and we are asked to walk by the light of Christ and to trust in his wisdom. We are invited to submit our hearts to Christ with ever deeper love.
Our Baptismal preparation is designed to assist parents and godparents in raising children in the Catholic faith. Baptismal classes for parents and godparents are offered on a monthly basis.
- Be a registered member of a Catholic Church for a minimum of 3 months.
- Attend a Baptismal class (at least 1 month prior to celebrating the Sacrament)
- Provide a copy of your child’s birth certificate prior to celebrating the Sacrament
Godparents ritualizes and symbolizes the presence of the community and the promise to support the newly baptized in a life of faith. Each child must have at least one Catholic godparent. Parents cannot be their own child’s godparent.
- Have received the three sacraments of initiation, Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Know the fundamental truth of the Faith and ‘be a practicing Catholic’ who goes to Mass on Sunday, receives the sacrament of the Eucharist regularly, and sees to religion instruction of his/her family.
- Be a member of the Catholic Church, canonically free to carry out this office.
- If married, the marriage must be valid in the eyes of the Church
- Attend a Baptismal class (if unable to attend at St Francis, a letter of completion is required.)
- Provide a letter of good standing from home parish
Baptism preparation for adults and older children
Children over the age of 7 must attend one full year of Faith Formation prior to celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism.
Non-Catholics who wish to learn more about the Catholic Church and receive the Sacraments of Initiation are invited to participate in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) process.
Adults seeking to enter the Church through Baptism generally receive the Sacrament during the Great Vigil of Easter. For more information on Sacramental Preparation for Adults, contact the front office.
Baptism: Incorporated into Christ’s Body, Sent on Christ’s Mission (English) (en espanol)
Video: The Sacrament of Baptism by Bishop Robert Barron
Baptism Classses are held on a monthly basis in English and Spanish.
Front office at 770-382-4549